The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF) was chartered on February 11, 1859 to join Atchison and Topeka, Kansas with Santa Fe, New Mexico. At its largest the AT&SF routes ran over 13,000 miles. Because long stretches of its main line traverse areas without water Santa Fe was one of the first buyers of diesel locomotives for freight service. The railroad officially ceased operations on December 31, 1996, when it merged with the Burlington Northern Railroad.
Santa Fe FT ABBA in cigar band freight scheme rounding the Mounds curve.
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) was the first common carrier railroad and the first to offer scheduled freight and passenger service. B&O holds many "firsts." It was quick to adopt diesel power in 1930s and was the first to include air-conditioning in its passenger fleet. In 1973 B&O was made a subsidiary of the newly created Chessie System and merged in CSX in 1987.
Alco ABBAs pull a coal train around the bend at Stallions.
The Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Railway is the second-largest freight railroad network in North America. It has three transcontinental routes providing high-speed links between the western and eastern United States. The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railways formally merged on December 31, 1996 to create the BNSF. BNSF frieght rolling through Peterson Chemical right after the 1996 merger. Not all BN and ATSf engines have been re-painted.
BC Rail / British Columbia Railway operated in the Canadian province of British Columbia between 1912 and 2004. It ran "from nowhere, to nowhere" for over 30 years, neither passing through any major city nor interchanging with any other railway. It expanded significantly between 1949 and 1984.
An Alco RS3 pulls a load of logs across Newton Ravine.
The Burlington Northern Railroad was the product of a March 2, 1970, merger that involved four major railroads: the Great Northern Railway, Northern Pacific Railway, Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway and the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as well as a few small jointly owned subsidiaries owned by the four.
A Burlington Northern coal train passing through Crymea River before rounding the curve at Willya B Mine.
The Chicago and North Western Railway was chartered on June 7, 1859. The railroad once operated over 12,000 miles of track in seven states. The company was purchased by Union Pacific Railroad in April 1995. A pair of C&NW GP50's picking up a consist from the H20 cold storage plant.
The Consolidated Rail Corporation, commonly known as Conrail, began operations in April 1976 (although its origins go back to the Granite Railway Co., built in 1826). The U.S. federal government created Conrail to take over the potentially profitable lines of multiple bankrupt carriers. In 1997 CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern Railway jointly acquired Conrail and split most of its assets between themConrail coal train rounds the curve at Stallions as it pulls into Peterson Chemical.
The D&RGW started as a narrow gauge line running south from Denver. It served mainly as a transcontinental bridge line between Denver and Salt Lake City. The D&RGW operated the highest mainline rail line in the United States, over the 10,240 feet Tennessee Pass in Colorado, and the famed routes through the Moffat Tunnel and the Royal Gorge. D&RGW articulated steam engine rounding the bend at Stallions.
The Illinois Central Railroad was chartered in 1851 to build a railroad from Cairo to Galena, Illinois. It's primary routes connected Chicago, Illinois with New Orleans, Louisiana and Mobile, Alabama. In 1998 the Illinois Central was purchased by the Canadian National Railway and operations integrated July 1, 1999. Illinois Central GP-7s pulling a long freight through Peterson Chemical in 1972.
GO Transit began regular passenger service on May 23, 1967. It has since expanded to serve the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area with operations extending to several communities in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
Government of Ontario Transit Commuter makes a quick stop at Hermanville before ending its run at the Allandale Waterfront.
The Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad was incorporated in 1870. The original goal of the company was to build a supply railroad connecting the frontier military bases of Fort Riley, Fort Gibson and Fort Scott. In 1989 the system became part of Union Pacific.
An long MKT freight thunders past Gateway.
The Missouri Pacific Railroad, also known as MoPac, was one of the first railroads in the United States west of the Mississippi River. MoPac grew from dozens of predecessors and mergers which included the Texas and Pacific Railway (TP), Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad (C&EI) and Midland Valley Railroad (MV). On December 22, 1982 the Missouri Pacific Railroad merged with the Union Pacific Railroad.
Here the Missouri Pacific Colorado Eagle makes a scheduled stop at Hermanville on its way to Pueblo.
The Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville Railroad (CIL) existed only within the state of Indiana. Their route was an "X" with one leg from Hammond, IN to Indianapolis and the other from Michigan City, IN to New Albany, IN. The "X" crossed in Monon, Indiana.
A Monon freight consist pulls through Hermanville in 1972.
On July 6, 1853, ten railroads stretching 298 miles from Buffalo to Albany were consolidated as the New York Central Railroad. The New York Central was once the second-largest railroad in the United States, with 11,000 route miles of track in eleven states and two Canadian provinces.
A set of Alco ABBAs pull the 20th Century Limited into Hermanville, a quick stop on it's way to the Micropolis Yard.
The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad was a prominent railroad in the midwestern United States, commonly known as the "Rock Island." The 7,000-mile Rock Island connected cities like Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston, and Kansas City. Rock Island ceased operation March 31, 1980.
A long Rock Island freight speeds through Peterson Chemical.
The Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo was a railway based in Hamilton that ran in Southern Ontario from 1894 to 1987. It never reached the other two cities in its name, although it did have branch lines extending to Dunnville and Port Maitland. CP Rail merged the TH&B into its system in 1987.
A GP7 pulls a load of box cars through the underpass on Dead Man's Junction.
The Wabash Railroad, an arterial line in the mid-west stretching from Buffalo through Detroit, Toledo, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines and Omaha. It was known as a high-speed freight line hauling everything from auto parts to produce.
Here a pair of Fairbanks Morse Trainmasters pulls a mixed freight across the Cimarron River.